selbig2.gif (4185 bytes)

THE SELNEC PRESERVATION SOCIETY

All content is copyright The SELNEC Preservation Society.


THE SELNEC/GMT NATIONALS AND THE PRESERVATION OF 105 (HNB 24N)

105 in service with GMT (105_1.jpg)   105 when acquired by SELNED (105_2.jpg)   105 restored(105_3.jpg)

Except for the Manchester rear engined vehicles and the Mancunians that the SELNEC Preservation Society has procured, the principal objectives and historic approach chosen by the SELNEC Preservation Society for its vehicles, has been to reflect the design and development of buses operated through the formation of the SELNEC PTE on 1st November 1969, and subsequent operations.

The PTE was formed following the requirements of the Transport Act 1968 and 11 bus fleets were brought together, being Ashton, Bolton, Bury, Leigh, Manchester, Oldham, Ramsbottom, Rochdale, Salford, SHMD (Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley, Dukinfield) and Stockport.

However, having inherited over 2,500 vehicles from these 11 constituent companies, SELNEC PTE found that there was no interchangeability of body/mechanical parts, so decided to produce Standard vehicles which would be used throughout the entire PTE Region, and the first of these, being the prototype Standard EX1, has been preserved and restored by the SELNEC Preservation Society.

We also have a number of other Standard vehicles showing the on-going and continuing design and development of the double deck Standard PTE vehicle through the SELNEC PTE era from 1st November 1969 - 31st March 1974, Greater Manchester Transport from 1st April 1974 - 25th October 1986, GM Buses Ltd from 26th October 1986 - 31st March 1994 and GM Buses North and South Ltd from 1st April 1994.

Also in terms of double deck policy, the SELNEC Preservation Society has also secured examples of semi-integral and integral vehicles operated by GMT being the very first Metrobus 5001 (GBU 1V) and the last of the Leyland Titans 4015 (GNF 15V). We also have an Eastern Coachwork bodied Bristol VRT 408 (AJA 408L) delivered to SELNEC Cheshire, being the company based on North Western, subsequently added to the SELNEC PTE on 1st January 1972.

In terms of single deckers, although the SELNEC Preservation Society has four examples of the unique Seddon Pennine Minibuses used principally on the Pic Vic shuttle service between Manchester Victoria Station and Piccadilly Station (1700, 1711, 1733 and 1735), a Bristol LH6 ordered by Wigan but delivered to GMT after its incorporation on 1st April 1974 (1321), and the unique Dennis Domino, 1751, there was clearly a vehicle class missing from the SELNEC Preservation Society's collection, reflecting PTE operation through SELNEC and GMT days, that being the effective 'Standard' single deck vehicle, the Leyland National.

In this regard, we decided we should redress the situation and acquire a Leyland National for our collection, to complement our other single deck vehicles as mentioned above and also to complement the standard double deck vehicles we have.

We were conscious that the Museum of Transport in their excellent collection of vehicles in Boyle Street, Manchester, had the very first production Leyland National and the first of this class delivered to SELNEC in SELNEC livery, being EX30 which has the 11.3 metre long wheel base with dual door bodywork.

Consequently, we felt we might complement this example by securing a GMT liveried short wheel base 10.3 metre Leyland National with single door bodywork and this we have now achieved in securing GMT 105 (HNB 24N) which we acquired on 26th February 2000.

As stated above SELNEC/GMT designed their own Standard double deck vehicle in the form of 1,836 vehicles on Atlantean and Fleetline chassis, built in conjunction with Northern Counties and Park Royal. However, concerning single deck vehicles, they did not design their own (as single deckers had always been the minority in Manchester and were, for a very long time, the minority in SELNEC/GMT days, quite unlike the present-day arrangement where modern vehicles running for First Manchester and Stagecoach Manchester are predominately single deckers).

So SELNEC purchased two experimental batches of vehicles - 12 Leyland Nationals and 12 Metro Scanias for evaluation purposes in order to choose an 'off-the-shelf' vehicle for their single decker requirements.

The Leyland Nationals were delivered in the batch EX30 - EX41 and later re-numbered 1330 - 1341 and were registered TXJ 507K - TXJ 514K/VVM 601L - VVM 604L. The first of these, EX30 was the very first production Leyland National and is now preserved at the Museum of Transport in Manchester as mentioned previously. They all had dual door body work, the first eight, EX30 - EX37 were 1151/2R long wheel base 11.3 metres (B45D), although EX30 was B43D. The remaining four EX38 - EX41 were 1051/2R short wheel base 10.3 metres long (B39D).

The batch of Metro Scanias that were also purchased for evaluation, were EX42 - EX53, later re-numbered 1342 - 1353. They all had dual door bodywork, the first eight EX42 - EX49 (TXJ 515K - TXJ 522K) were BR111MH, long wheel base B44D and EX50 - EX57 (VVM 605L - VVM 608L) were BR110MH, short wheel base B40D, as was the 'hush bus', EX60 (1360) (VVM 609L).

The evaluation of these two batches ended up with a preference for Leyland Nationals. So, consequently, SELNEC placed an order for a further 20 of the shorter 10.3 metre wheel base but this time with single door front entrance. These were delivered as 1300-1319, but in all-over white at that stage, as in 1974 it was uncertain precisely what the forthcoming GMT livery would be in light of the proposed change-over from SELNEC.

They had the Leyland National 1051/1R/0502 chassis and B41F bodywork and were registered XVU 367M - XVU 385M, although 1319 was delivered after the registration change on 1st August 1974, and therefore became GND 511N.

When first delivered they actually came in not only all-over white but with orange SELNEC flashes, but these were quickly removed and metropolitan orange paint applied and GMT legal lettering after the reorganisation and re-naming of the company on 1st April 1974 when the boundary was altered and Wigan was incorporated into the fleet.

With the 12 experimental vehicles and the 20 production vehicles a total of 32 Leyland Nationals were delivered to SELNEC. Then in 1974 GMT ordered a further 70 of the short wheel base Leyland Nationals. These were delivered in a new fleet number sequence starting at 101, commencing after the last numbered single decker, in the coach fleet 97 (JND 997N).

The registration numbers were quite varied at the time as this was the period when it was impossible for large blocks of registration numbers to be allocated and vehicles had to be registered in the batches as they were delivered.

The batch was made-up as follows:

101 - 170 Chassis:          Leyland National 10351/1R
Year:              1975 - 1976
Body:             Leyland National B41F
Total:              70

101     HNB 20N

119     HNE 649N

137     JNA 593N

155     KBU 892P

102    HNB 21N

120     HNE 650N

138     JNA 594N

156     JVM 980N

103     HNB 22N

121     HNE 651N

139     JNA 595N

157     JVM 981N

104     HNB 23N

122     HNE 652N

140     JNA 596N

158     KBU 893P

105     HNB 24N

123     HJA 127N

141     JNA 597N

159     KBU 894P

106     HNB 46N

124     HJA 128N

142     JNA 598N

160     KBU 895P

107     HNB 47N

125     HJA 129N

143     JNA 599N

161     KBU 896P

108     HNB 48N

126     HJA 130N

144     JNA 600N

162     KBU 897P

109     HNE 633N

127     HJA 131N

145     JNA 601N

163     KBU 898P

110     HNE 634N

128     JNA 584N

146     JNA 602N

164     KBU 899P

111     HNE 635N

129     JNA 585N

147     JNA 603N

165     KBU 900P

112     HNE 636N

130     JNA 586N

148     JND 991N

166     KBU 901P

113     HNE 637N

131     JNA 587N

149     JND 998N

167     KBU 902P

114     HNE 638N

132     JNA 588N

150     JND 999N

168     KBU 903P

115     HNE 639N

133     JNA 589N

151     JDB 103N

169     KBU 904P

116     HNE 646N

134     JNA 590N

152     KBU 889P

170     KBU 905P

117     HNE 647N

135     JNA 591N

153     KBU 890P

 

118     HNE 648N

136     JNA 592N

154     KBU 891P

 

Having received these 70 short wheel base 10.3 metre Leyland Nationals, the next order placed by GMT was for the long wheel base 11.3 metre variety being vehicle numbers 171 - 205.

Lancashire United Transport had been purchased by GMT on 1st April 1976 and consequently, vehicle policy was influenced by GMT design and development which is why the last 90 Fleetlines, although being delivered in red/grey and a different version of orange/white to GMT's specifications, were GMT Standard vehicles. Although receiving LUT fleet numbers, they were eventually re-numbered 6901 - 6990 in the standard double deck series.

The same was true in terms of single deck policy in that although LUT had previously purchased a number of Seddons, Bristols and Leyland Leopards, new vehicle deliveries between 1977 and 1979 were influenced by PTE policy, so consequently, they received the 11.3 metre long wheel base Leyland Nationals of which 45 were delivered in this two year period being LUT fleet numbers 465 - 479/530 - 536/543 - 565. These were re-numbered after 1st April 1981 when the LUT fleet was fully integrated into Greater Manchester Transport as 206 - 250, following on from the last true GMT National 205 ABA 30T.

171 - 250 Chassis:          Leyland National 11351A1R
Year:              1977 - 1979
206-250 acquired from Lancashire United (465-479. 530-536, 543-565) in 1981 Body:             Leyland National B49F
Total:              80

171     RBU 171R

191     ABA 16T

211     NEN 957R

231     WBN 465T

172     RBU 172R

192     ABA 17T

212     NEN 958R

232     WBN 466T

173     RBU 173R

193     ABA 18T

213     NEN 959R

233     WBN 467T

174     RBU 174R

194     ABA 19T

214     NEN 960R

234     WBN 468T

175     RBU 175R

195     ABA 20T

215     NEN 961R

235     WBN 469T

176     RBU 176R

196     ABA 21T

216     NEN 962R

236     WBN 470T

177     RBU 177R

197     ABA 22T

217     NEN 963R

237     WBN 471T

178     RBU 178R

198     ABA 23T

218     NEN 964R

238     WBN 472T

179     RBU 179R

199     ABA 24T

219     NEN 965R

239     WBN 473T

180     RBU 180R

200     ABA 25T

220     NEN 966R

240     WBN 474T

181     RBU 181R

201     ABA 26T

221     PTD 667S

241     WBN 475T

182     RBU 182R

202     ABA 27T

222     PTD 668S

242     WBN 476T

183     RBU 183R

203     ABA 28T

223     PTD 669S

243     WBN 477T

184     RBU 184R

204     ABA 29T

224     PTD 670S

244     WBN 478T

185     RBU 185R

205     ABA 30T

225     PTD 671S

245     WBN 479T

186     ABA 11T

206     NEN 952R

226     PTD 672S

246     WBN 480T

187     ABA 12T

207     NEN 953R

227     PTD 673S

247     WBN 481T

188     ABA 13T

208     NEN 954R

228     WBN 462T

248     WBN 482T

189     ABA 14T

209     NEN 955R

229     WBN 463T

249     WBN 483T

190     ABA 15T

210     NEN 956R

230     WBN 464T

250     WBN 484T

An early withdrawal was vehicle 168 (KBU 903P) due to accident damage and some time later, 113 (HNE 637N) also received some damage.

However, the two vehicles were combined and a new bus was built from both of them, which was relaunched as 113 (HNE 637N) and this was the first single decker and the first Leyland National in the new corporate white/orange/brown GMT colours in 1981.

Many of the Leyland Nationals were taken out of service at de-regulation, and did not pass into the hands of Greater Manchester Buses Ltd on 26th October 1986.

Those that did so were: 132-134, 136-141, 145, 147, 148, 150-151, 153-154, 157, 159-162, 165-167, 169, 170, 176-180, 186-195, 197-203, 205, 228, 232, 234-240, 243, 245, 250 being a total of 60.

105 was, in fact, withdrawn at de-regulation and was stored at a PTE Depot, until such time as it was sold to the Kirkby Central arrangement on 27th February 1987 and then on to Bolton Coachways on 3rd March 1987.

It was then purchased by Ronald Charles Bott in Abergynolwy on 13th October 1990, and then by a dealer Martin Perry, Streamhill Garage, Bromyard, on 2nd May 1994, eventually passing to Caves Bus Service in Solihull on 4th October 1994.

After the split of GM Buses to North and South on 1st April 1994, each company then purchased a number of second-hand Leyland Nationals as follows:

GM Buses North

101

FWA 474V

Leyland National 2 NL106L11/1R

B44F

1980

Ex Citybus, Middleton, 1995

102

PNW 606W

Leyland National 2 NL106L11/1R

B52F

1980

Ex Citybus, Middleton, 1995

103

XLV 163W

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

104

XTJ 4W

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

DP44F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

105

XTJ 5W

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

106

WWM 905W

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

107

XTJ 7W

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

108

SKF 8T

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1979

Ex MTL, 1995

109

SKF 9T

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1979

Ex MTL, 1995

161

CKB 161X

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

162

CKB 162X

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

163

CKB 163X

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

164

CKB 164X

Leyland National 2 NL116AL11/1R

B49F

1981

Ex MTL, 1995

180

VBG 80V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

181

VBG 81V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

182

VBG 82V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

183

VBG 83V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

185

VBG 85V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

186

VBG 86V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

187

VBG 97V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

195

VBG 95V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

198

VBG 98V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

199

VBG 99V

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R

B49F

1980

Ex MTL, 1995

787

LPB 201P

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1976

 

-

WNO 564L

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1972

 

-

SKF 29T

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1978

 
           

GM Buses South

251

RUF 41R

Leyland National 11351A/2R

B49F

1977

Ex Hogg, Glasgow, 1994 - Into service

252

DBY 718M

Leyland National 1151/1R/0401

B49F

1973

Ex Munro, Uddington, 1994 - Into service (JIL 8374)

253

DBY 717M

Leyland National 1151/1R/0402

B49F

1973

Ex R & I, Milton Keynes, 1994 - Into service (JIL 7610)

254

KRE 295P

Leyland National 11351/1R

B52F

1976

Ex Rose Hill, Marple, 1994 - Scrapped

255

EUM 900T

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1979

Ex Amberley, Pudsey, 1994 - Into service (LIL 3317)

256

FNS 161T

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1978

Ex Amberley, Pudsey, 1994 - Into service (SJI 2054)

257

CFM 352S

Leyland National 11351A/1R

B49F

1978

Ex Amberley, Pudsey, 1994 - Into service (SJI 4558)

258

LPR 937P

Leyland National 11351/1R

B48F

1975

Ex Amberley, Pudsey, 1994 - Into service (SJI 4559)

259

HMA 657N

Leyland National 1151/1R/SC

DP49F

1975

Ex Amberley, Pudsey, 1994 - Into service (SJI 4580)

260

JHU 861L

Leyland National 1151/1R/0403

B44D

1973

Ex Amberley, Pudsey, 1994 - Into service (JIL 5279)

261

KDW 347P

Leyland National 11351/1R/SC

DP48F

1975

Ex Golden Coaches, 1994 - Into service (TJI 2488)

262

KDW 351P

Leyland National 11351/1R/SC

DP48F

1975

Ex Red & White, 1994 - Scrapped

263

HFM 179N

Leyland National 11351/1R/SC

DP48F

1974

Ex Crosville, 1994 - Scrapped

264

KDW 342P

Leyland National 11351/1R

B49F

1975

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service

265

WFM 801K

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1972

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service

266

WFM 803L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1972

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Scrapped

267

WFM 806L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1972

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service (LIL 4612)

268

WFM 811L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1972

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Scrapped

269

WFM 817L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1972

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service (JIL 7609)

270

WFM 822L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1973

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Scrapped

271

XRB 416L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1973

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service (JIL 7608)

272

JHU 868L

Leyland National 1151/2R/0403

B44D

1973

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service (JIL 7607)

273

GFJ 663N

Leyland National 11351/2R

B46D

1974

Ex Gatwick Handling, 1994 - Into service (JIL 7606)

When reviewing vehicle acquisition policy and rectification procedure, it was decided during the 1999 Rally season that we at the SELNEC Preservation Society did need to concentrate on acquiring a Leyland National, and in order to complement the SELNEC liveried long wheel base dual door vehicle EX30 in the ownership of the Museum of Transport, a GMT liveried short wheel base single door version was the key target.

An analysis of what vehicles were still available in reasonable condition showed that the best option was 105 (HNB 24N) the fifth short wheel base Leyland National delivered to GMT in 1975. After being withdrawn from operation in Greater Manchester, it ran for Bolton Coachways, a company in Wales, then Caves Bus Services in Solihull since 4th October 1994. Contact was made with them and consequently negotiations with the Dealer to whom the vehicle had been sold by Caves Bus Services ensued, with an agreement being made in February 2000 to purchase the vehicle.

Then arrangements were made to pay for the vehicle, so that ownership passed to the SELNEC Preservation Society on 26th February 2000.

Members of the Society, having visited Caves premises in Solihull, identified that there had been some front end damage to the vehicle and there were certain parts missing, such as an alternator, silencer and also that the bus had been re-trimmed in N. B. C. spec green vinyl seats.

However, very kindly, it was agreed that we could secure spare parts from scrap Nationals in the yard and so, having also obtained some spares from Barnsley, members of the SELNEC Preservation Society re-visited 105 on Saturday, 26th February 2000 to fit the alternator on the bus, plus a new set of batteries and also secure the silencer and other parts to restore it to reasonable condition.

Also, we were kindly allowed other spare parts to put into stock for future renovation requirements from the other Leyland Nationals at Caves and a supply of these parts was put on the bus on 26th February 2000.

A week later, three members of the SELNEC Preservation Society, visited once again, put on trade plates on 105, then drove it with the store of spare parts secured, back to our storage facilities in Wigan, where 105 is currently kept.

The front end damage will be addressed shortly and at some point in the future, the bus will be restored to its 1975 condition.

Since our acquisition of the vehicle last year, several rectification tasks have commenced.

It was decided that due to 105 being constructed entirely from steel, it would need thorough treatment of all framework and panelling, so the whole vehicle would need stripping down in order to do this.

The first job was to remove all lower skirt panels. These are all screwed into place on a National, and most didn't prove a problem to remove, however, some needed a little encouragement (and plenty of WD40!). Mud had gathered behind these skirt panels and had built up enough over the years to fill the gap between them and the inner shell of the bus! Luckily, however, there is no corrosion to worry about, amazingly so after 24 years in service.

Whilst removing the panels, both front and rear bumpers were taken off, along with the bonnet lid which is a flat aluminium replacement.

The broken nearside windscreen was also removed, caused by accident damage, which had taken the bus out of service with Caves of Solihull Lodge. The front end has been partly stripped down for rectification work and is soon to be completed. New panels for this have been sourced from Greengate Fabrications.

When we collected the vehicle its batteries were dead, so, upon arrival to collect it, we used a spare set to bring the vehicle back from Birmingham on its uneventful trip to Wigan, and since then all batteries have been removed and all battery connections have been cleaned. The battery cradle has had slight welding to it, and now the whole thing has been treated with two coats of zinc phosphate primer and one coat of Hammerite silver. The cradle now looks like new again.

When this was completed two new 12 volt batteries were sourced from Castlefield Batteries and a main joining lead was also acquired. These have since been fitted to the bus.

More recent work undertaken was the replacement of the lower section of one offside pillar due to accident damage and a piece welded into the back panel above the bonnet to fill a hole cut in the panel for additional lighting wiring.

The flasher unit has been replaced as this was found to be faulty and preventing indicators and lights from working. All wiring to the starter solenoid has been renewed with new connectors, as after 25 years it had all split and perished and was causing bad connections.

One big task which has just been started is to remove all the window pans, all the originals had no sills left at the base, due to damp getting in. On a National you have to remove all interior panels in order to replace the rivets which all go in from inside. Once these window pans were removed by an outside motor body repairer, Ian Hodson, and as all the interior seats and panels had been taken out earlier, it was decided that any other panels which needed replacing had to be done whilst they were accessible. Therefore, new panels were sourced from Greengate Fabrications.

When all the panels were off, all framework was treated with two coats of zinc phosphate primer and two coats of gloss black over the top. This will prevent it from corroding in the future.

In the working days at Wigan since 12th January 2003 through to 18th May 2003 a number of areas of progress have been undertaken with some spare parts being obtained from scrap yards as follows.
        - Vents fitted.
        - Floor painted.
        - Left power door re-hung.
        -
Panel above air door fitted.
        - Replaced glass screens.
        - Painted stripped green bars back to silver.
        - Fitted window pans internally.
        - Fitted internal melamine
        - Cleaned internal melamine
        - Rubbed down, red oxided and painted seat frames.
        -
Steering column and indicator unit replaced.
        - Red oxided mid deck step and wheel arches.
        - Sanded down and red oxided all wheels
        - Fitted front and rear licence plates.
        - Fitted all side windows, some with new rubbers obtained from scrap yard.
        - Rewired the start/stop solenoid.
        - Removed all external vinyls and markings.
        - Some skirt panels refitted.

On the working day on 2nd February 2003 spare seat cushions in green leather and spare seatbacks with the right style of melamine obtained from a scrap vehicle were taken to Gordon Morris at GLG Coachtrimmers in Wigan in order that they could be stripped down and entirely re-covered in the appropriate Greater Manchester orange moquette which we had also supplied to him.  We had a quantity of this made some years ago in order to re-trim the lower deck of 408 (AJA 408L), both decks of 5001 (GBU 1V) and 105 (HNB 24N).  Unfortunately, on 105 the seat cushions were of poor quality and consequently we also ordered from Vitafoam a full set of new rubbers for the cushions as part of this renovation. 

Clearly there is a lot more work to be done and there are odd pieces of repair work being undertaken on fibreglass parts ready for refitting, but already during the first five months of the year considerable progress has been made with restoring the vehicle which has involved a lot of attention to the bodywork because of the alterations and the damage that has occurred over the years.

Between May 2003 and September 2003 the skirt panels had been fitted to the outside and the front end repair has been finished allowing the windscreens to be refitted.  Principally work has concentrated on the interior of the bus.  The floor has been completely repainted twice in a special protective floor paint and the seat frames which had been taken out, sanded down, red oxided and repainted in the appropriate brown colour have all been refitted. The whole of the inside of the vehicle has been cleaned and re-cleaned.  Some of the melamine areas and a number of surfaces have been painted in vinyl black, particularly the inside of the front air doors, the area around the front of the bus and the cab.  Also in the cab bulbs have been replaced in the dashboard and the cracked oil pressure warning wiring has been renewed.  Brand new white number blinds had been ordered and have been fitted and glass partitioning has been fitted behind the cab and behind the air doors.  In addition, all internal strapping from supplies obtained from a scrap vehicle have been fitted to the bus.

During the remainder of 2003 (September - December) all deck tread in the rear quarters of the bus was replaced, including around the engine hatches, where previously it had been covered over with aluminium chequerplate.  All the flooring was then painted in brown and aluminium was painted to give it a new look. 

The cab area needed some serious attention and has had all junction box covers removed, treated with red oxide primer and refitted.  Aluminium chequerplate fitted to the floor by the cab door has also been replaced.  It is believed that GMT opted for a wider cab than that of other operators, and this explains why the aluminium was laid to extend the flooring.  All junction boxes have been repainted and a new semi automatic gear selector surround has been sourced and is ready to be fitted. 

A new sill for under the windscreen had been fabricated and fitted and the windscreens were later refitted.  The internal dashboard has been straightened and refitted and all surrounding areas had been repainted in satin black.  New windscreen wipers in polished steel were sourced from Isla Components and fitted to the bus and two new wheel arch panels for the outside of the vehicle have been cut down from long wheel base ones and are awaiting fitting. 

The fuel filler surround was also reinstated to the appropriate skirt panel.  A new service hatch was sourced from N M Fibreglass and new hinges and spring clips were acquired for both hatches.  The rear bumper was refitted with the three correct original sections and mesh of the original design has been sourced from scrap vehicles and fitted to both the bonnet lid and bumper.  Catches to keep the bonnet lid closed were also fitted.

All rear light lenses were removed and cleaned to remove the years of soot built up inside them. All the seat frames was reinstated, and seat backs with new moquette were been fitted.

Auto Windscreens visited our premises in Wigan on Tuesday 3rd, Tuesday 10th and Wednesday 11th February 2004 in order to put new thin rubber lacing strips in all the window rubbers on the bus to secure the windows back in place having replaced all the window pans.  Thereafter, on Sunday 22nd February 2004 we collected the remainder of all the remoquetted cushions for the bus from Gordon Morris at GLG Wigan Coachtrimmers.

By working day 4th April 2004 all major rectification work to the exterior and interior of the vehicle was concluded with just a few bits of snagging to be resolved once the vehicle has been serviced and repainted.  In this respect it was taken the week after on Sunday 11th April 2004 to John Fishwick & Sons in Leyland who are to undertake some electrical work.

The vehicle was moved on Sunday 16th May 2004 from Fishwicks, who did not undertake any work on it, to Whittakers of Penwortham where it received a full service with all the steering, brakes, electrics and engine running matters checked over, all oils changed and in particular the following specific work was carried out.

        - starter motor rewired and overhauled;
        - stop/start solenoid replaced;
        - wiring between solenoid and starter motor replaced;
        - key switch for starter in cab area replaced and wiring repaired;
        - front brakes stripped down and relined;
        - wiring to rear lights checked and repaired;
        - two bus stopping signs wired up;
        - door motor quick release valve repaired;
        - emergency exit window emergency buzzer reconnected;
        - damaged window rubbers replaced;
        - low air pressure buzzer in cab replaced;

        - rear suspension air bags replaced and refitted;
        - turbo pipe replaced from rubber to aluminuim castings; and
        - fog lights wired up.

Whilst the vehicle was here it also had its engine chassis and drive units steamed cleaned and sprayed in light grey anti-corrosive paint following which the entire vehicle was painted in Greater Manchester metropolitan orange and white, paint codes 06E55 and 00E55 respectively.  Also the wheels were painted in the original brown paint which we had finally tracked down on Tuesday 13th April 2004 as reported in Newsletter Number 25 of May 2004 as being 06C39.  We will hopefully repaint the wheels on 8001 and 5001 in this colour and before the “Big Orange” event on 9th and 10th October 2004.

The vehicle then was taken to Martins of Middlewich on Saturday 10th July 2004, where it passed its MOT and was collected by members and returned to our storage premises in Wigan that day.  It was subsequently moved to Leigh on Saturday 24th July 2004 and final snagging and restoration work took place on the working days, Sunday 1st August and 22nd August 2004.  On these days the whole of the interior was thoroughly cleaned being all the melamine, windows, fixtures and fittings; the remainder of the green paint was taken off the grab rails and bars to finally return all of them to their original chrome condition.  Rectification work was carried out on the cab and a replacement three position silver cash tray fitted and some of the interior panelling around the windscreens was put in place.  The problem with leaking air in the air doors was resolved as was a subsequent short that had developed on the nearside rear lights.  New lenses and chrome lens surrounds were put on the front lights of the vehicle and on the side indicators and a now rare original licence plate light fitted to the back.  At the same time on the exterior of the vehicle not only were the windows cleaned but a Leyland Roundel badge was added to the front and the Leyland National badges fitted to the front and rear and the whole of the exterior of the vehicle had appropriate vinyls and transfers fitted to it, in order that it reflected its condition when delivered new in 1974.

105 successfully made it's rally debut at the "Big Orange event" on 9th and 10th October 2004.

105

BATCH:

101 - 170

gmt.gif (2279 bytes)

(HNB 24N)

BODY:

Leyland National B41F

 

CHASSIS:

Leyland National 10351/1R

 

FIRST REGISTERED:

1st March, 1975

 

PURCHASED:

26th February, 2000

 

DETAILS:

The fifth of the 70 short (10.3 meters) Leyland Nationals delivered to Greater Manchester Transport and the only GMT Leyland National in preservation.


Back ] Up ] Next ]